We want to share some information that could be helpful. We know our city has useful resources for older folks, but they don’t do us much good if we don’t know what’s available or how to get the answers to our questions. So here goes..
Sign up for Smart911 Online at smart911.com. If you dial 911, they’ll already have all of your important information.
Your Alderman is a reliable resource. Don’t know who your Alderman is? Start at www.cityofchicago.org. Put in your address and voila!
Live in the 47th Ward? Matt Martin 773-868-4747. In the 40th Ward? Andre Vasquez is your Alderman 773-654-1867
Ask about when the CAPS meetings are held for the 19th & 20th Police Districts. Also, ask about meetings with seniors in the districts. Other topics include: Senior Services (DFSS), housing, in-home caregiver support, cooling/warming centers, short-term chore service, one-time deep cleaning service, legal services, etc.
- Mary Hartwell Catherwood Apartments has three senior buildings on Clark and Irving Park. They are clean, sunny, newly painted, one bedroom apartments with new appliances.
- There is also a Covid vaccine program for homebound people- FREE at North Area Center,
- Northside Community Resources – Housing, General Practical Assistance, 773-338-7774
- Jane Addams Senior Caucus – Grassroots organizing for Senior Issues
- Levy Senior Center – 2019 W. Lawrence, 312-744-0784
- North Center Senior Center – 4040 N. Oakley, 312-744-4015
- Friendship Pet Food Pantry, 3rd Saturday of the month 9:00-11:00am
Pet food or access to reduced cost pet care at 2711 W. Lawrence
Friendship Center also has a people food pantry 4 days a week
- Common Pantry – 3744 N Damen
We hope you find what you need. Contact Forward Chicago if you need advice, we may have the answer for you.